Free University of Berlin International Summer and Winter University
About the Program
The Free University of Berlin International Summer University (FUBiS) is an intensive, academic program that runs for 3 to 6 weeks during the summer. Every year FUBiS offers more than 45 courses - both subject and German classes. When reviewing courses, please note that some are taught in English and some are taught in German.
Final program details will be published by the partner institution that manages this program and are generally updated on their program webpage. However, you must apply through Go Global to be considered for this program and ensure you follow the appropriate transfer credit process.
The partner is offering two merit-based scholarships of €3,500 per student to UBC students participating in the FUBiS 2021 Term II only (May– July 2022). Each scholarship includes the FUBiS program fee, tuition for a subject course or a semi-intensive German language course, accommodation in single apartments, as well as an insurance package. A travel allowance is also included. Information about the academic program for FUBiS Term II is available online.
To be eligible for the scholarship, students must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- be at least 18 years old
- be enrolled as a full-time student at UBC as defined by their faculty
- be an undergraduate student
- intend to enrol in FUBiS Term II (program dates: May – July 2022)
- submit a Go Global Summer Abroad application by the December deadline - extended to January 27, 2022!
Students wishing to be considered for this scholarship must indicate that they wish to do Term 2 at FUBiS, address how the scholarship may assist them in achieving their goals in the Statement of Motivation section, and submit their Go Global application by January 27, 2022. Applications for FUBiS received after this date will NOT be considered for the scholarship, but may still be eligible for the program.
Additional Requirements or Restrictions
FUBiS recommends that students have a minimum cumulative grade point average of approximately 75%.
You can enroll in approximately 4 to 12 ECTS credits, depending on the term you attend and which track you take. Please note that 2 ECTS credits = 1 UBC credit.
Transfer credits are only granted for courses with academic content and may not be granted for cultural activities or intensive language courses. Please speak to a departmental advisor if you have any questions.
Transfer credits and evaluated courses at this university
Check out the courses that previous students have transferred back to UBC in the last 5 years using our Course Search Tool. If you don't see a particular course you listed, it simply means you need to submit it as a new course request through the Transfer Credit Portal while on your Go Global experience. For more information, please visit the Go Global Transfer Credit webpage.
Not all courses listed are offered through the summer program at this partner institution. The tool is for reference only–research the partner's website for actual course offerings.
Tuition and Fees
You will pay tuition directly to the partner institution for this program.
The partner institution may charge other program fees such as application fees, housing costs, field trips, cultural activities, or other costs associated with hosting this program. Please check the partner webpage for details of program costs.
Please see the About the Program section above for an additional funding opportunity.
How to apply to a Go Global Summer Program
- Complete your research about the summer abroad program and ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria (UBCV / UBCO), including any partner or program-specific requirements.
- Apply online by the Go Global deadline listed above.
- Please submit only one application for the summer program of your choice. If selecting a program that has limited enrolment (e.g. "Summer Exchange"), include a second choice as a backup on the same application by selecting the "Add Item" button.
- Where applicable, select the "Summer Exchange" experience to pay tuition to UBC or the "Study Abroad" experience to pay tuition to the partner institution. If you select "Summer Exchange", be sure to include a backup choice.
- If you plan to do multiple experiences (e.g. more than one summer program, a term exchange and a summer program, etc.), please submit a separate application for each experience. Our team will review your application(s) and if successful, will nominate you to apply to the partner institution(s).
- Pay the Go Global Fee when prompted, after the application deadline.
- If successfully nominated by Go Global, you will receive instructions on how to apply to the partner university.
If you are considering applying for a Go Global program and identify with having a disability or pre-existing health condition (mental or physical) which could impact your participation, or if you require academic accommodation, you can contact the following offices and meet with an Accessibility Advisor before the start of your program:
The Centre for Accessibility (Vancouver) 604 822-5844
Disability Resource Centre (Okanagan) 250 807-8053
Go Global Fee Adjustment Policy for Summer Abroad
The Go Global Fee ($415.00 CDN) is an administrative fee required for all applicants to Go Global programs. The fee is non-refundable. However, it may be adjusted under the following circumstances.
If you are not matched to a partner university
You are eligible to have your Go Global fee adjusted from $415.00 to $93.25 (reduced by $321.75) if:
You have applied to Go Global but do not meet our minimum eligibility requirements
Go Global cannot match you to a partner university
The partner university does not accept your application and Go Global cannot find another option
If you withdraw from Go Global
To withdraw from your Go Global program, you must contact Go Global by email to request withdrawal. You will then be asked to complete a short withdrawal form.
Students who withdraw from Go Global by the relevant deadline below, will have their Go Global fee adjusted from $415.00 to $321.75 (reduced by $93.25).
March 30: For summer programs
June 30: For UBC Winter Term 1 and Full-Year exchange
September 30: For UBC Winter Term 2 and Split-Year exchange
If you have questions, please connect with your Go Global advisor or email Go Global at email@example.com.
Contact Go Global
In-person and Virtual Drop-in advising hours
- Tuesday: 1:00 - 3:00 pm
- Wednesday: 1:00 - 3:00 pm
Go Global offers both in-person and virtual drop-in advising through Zoom during the times listed above.
Partner InstituitionFree University of Berlin
- Term II: late May to mid July
- Term III: mid July to mid August