Apply to UBC on exchange

Getting started

To attend UBC as an exchange student, you must be enrolled at one of UBC's partner universities. Your home university's exchange office will determine your eligibility for an exchange program. Contact them for details on their application procedures.

Your application will also be reviewed by Go Global. Applications to study in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Creative Writing, Education, Forestry, Graduate Studies, Kinesiology, Land and Food Systems, and Social Work will be reviewed by the faculty or department. Admission to these programs is limited.

Acceptance to UBC is confirmed once your home university's exchange office receives your acceptance letter. Go Global recommends that you do not purchase an airline ticket prior to receiving your official letter of acceptance. 

Centre for Accessibility

UBC’s Centre for Accessibility facilitates disability-related accommodations (such as alternate format materials, assistive technology, extra time allowance on an exam, etc.) designed to remove barriers for students with disabilities and ongoing medical conditions. To request an accommodation, students must register with the Centre for Accessibility first.

 Application instructions for students

  1. Ensure you meet UBC's English language requirements.
  2. Review program and course restrictions. Read this information carefully to understand which programs and courses are available to exchange students.
  3. Complete the online exchange application. Once your university has submitted your nomination to Go Global, you will receive an email to log into the online application portal. Please submit your application by the deadline indicated. Once you have submitted the online application, you will receive a confirmation email indicating your UBC student number. Students wishing to attend MRNE (Marine Science) courses must submit a separate application to Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre (BMSC) after completing the exchange application. MRNE courses are taught at BMSC located on Vancouver Island. Additional fees will apply.
  4. Submit your application documents such as your transcript, English language exam results (if needed), proposed course list, and other supporting documents as needed to your home exchange office (see section "Application document checklist" section below). Make sure that your home exchange office provides all required documents to UBC by the deadline indicated.
  5. Apply for a Campus-Wide Login (CWL) account. This is required in order to complete UBC's online housing application, and you will need this login later to check your registration and pay your fees. If you experience difficulty setting up an account, please see the Creating a CWL tutorial or contact the help desk for technical support.
    1. Visit the CWL Sign Up page.
    2. Proceed and agree to the Terms of Use.
    3. Select "Student and Alumni" from the list of choices.
    4. Follow the instructions to complete the application. Your default Student Service Centre (SSC) password is set to your 6 digit date of birth in the order of yymmdd (e.g. 980123 for January 23, 1998). 
  6. Complete the online housing application by the deadlines indicated. Due to high demand, on-campus housing is not guaranteed even though priority is given to exchange students.
    1. Coordinated International Experience (CIE) Term 1 exchange students do not qualify for priority housing access and Go Global recommends for CIE Term 1-only students to look for off-campus housing because of the low chance of getting into a UBC residence.
    2. Regular exchange students and CIE Full Year/Term 2 students, please apply for housing as soon as you have created a CWL account to log in on the Student Services Centre. You do not need to wait until you have been admitted.

 Housing application tips

  1. Go to the Housing and Conferences Online Service Centre and log in under “UBC New Applicants, Students, Staff with CWL ID”
  2. Log in with the CWL you created
  3. Select “Application,” and then “Apply”
  4. Select the application for the 2023/2024 Winter Session (23W)
  5. When asked for your faculty, enter “Exchange Program, year 1”
  6. There is a $50 non-refundable application fee

Go Global will inform the housing office whether you are coming for one or two terms as there is no place for you to indicate this on their application. For off-campus housing resources, please check the UBC Vancouver Housing Information Packet 2022/23 (pdf).

Application document checklist

It is the student's responsibility to prepare and provide the following documents to their home university's exchange office. Then your home university will submit them to Go Global on your behalf by uploading to the Salesforce platform before the application due date. Please check our Key Dates page for application deadlines. 

  • Current official academic transcript (if you are applying for graduate studies please include both undergraduate and graduate transcript). Must include grading scale.

  • Official translation of academic transcript (if original transcript is not in English)

  • Test of English Proficiency if English is not your first language or the language of instruction at your home university (check with the exchange office at your home university to see if this requirement has been waived for your university)

  • One passport-style photo 

  • Proposed Course List 2023/2024 (pdf). Proposed courses will give Go Global an idea of what you plan to study at UBC. The form will be used for admission purposes but not for registration.

  • Additional supporting documents as needed for students planning to take courses in certain faculties/disciplines at UBC (see section "Additional documents required by Faculties or Departments at UBC" below)

Additional documents required by Faculties or Departments at UBC

  • Statement explaining your interest in the discipline of architecture and UBC's School of Architecture
  • Curriculum Vitae (resumé)
  • Two letters of reference (academic references)
  • Portfolio (a representative sample of undergraduate or graduate level architecture course work)
  • TOEFL score of 100 (Internet-based)
Landscape Architecture / Environmental Design

You are required to submit a portfolio of your design work is required for admission


If you want to participate in a teaching practicum, a criminal record check (from your local police authority) is mandatory. This requirement is the result of British Columbia legislation that requires a review of all candidates who will be working with children.


You are required to submit an audition video. If you have any questions, please email

Creative Writing

If you plan to take 300- or 400-level creative writing courses, additional documents you must submit include:

  • a syllabus/course outline for each of the pre-requisite course(s) you have taken at your home university
  • a short writing sample (10 pages maximum) in English, ideally in the genre you want to take

400-level CRWR courses are only available to students majoring in Creative Writing in their home universities. 

Visual Arts

You are required to submit a portfolio of your work in the areas you would like to take courses (e.g., sculpture, painting).