Studying Law at UBC on exchange
Guidelines for prospective students
The Peter A. Allard School of Law at UBC welcomes exchange students from around the world. Please note that Allard School of Law only accepts exchange students from Law Schools with which we have established law-specific exchange agreements. Students from universities with law-specific exchange arrangements can check with their universities for information on space availability at UBC. For students nominated via law-specific arrangements, space in courses is not guaranteed. Students should plan to complete their core requirements at their home university.
- Students must be registered in the Faculty of Law at one of the universities listed below.
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents are not permitted to apply for a Law exchange (with exceptions to be made for students applying to attend UBC on exchange from a Canadian law school). The Law exchange program is meant to promote educational and cultural exchange among citizens of other countries.
- Before coming to UBC, exchange students must have completed at least one year of law studies with a 70% average (or equivalent).
- Students are eligible to take 300- and 400-level courses (subject to availability).
- Spaces in courses that are in seminar format are typically limited to a small number of students. The Faculty will not allow additional students to enroll once a course has reached its capacity. If a course that is required for your degree is full, you must find an alternative course.
- Exchange students interested in clinical programs should contact the clinical program coordinator directly to inquire about space available in the course.
- Access to specific courses is not guaranteed. Students should plan to complete their core requirements at their home university.
- Graduate (500-) law courses are not available.
- For a complete listing of law courses, please see course information on the Peter A. Allard School of Law website.
For more information on course availability, registration, orientation, and other program details, please refer to the Allard School of Law webpage for incoming exchange students. If you have further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org instead of contacting the Allard School of Law directly.
- Australia National University
- Beijing University (Peking University)
- Durham University
- Hebrew University
- Keio University
- Korea University
- LUISS Guido Carli
- Lunds Universitet
- McGill University
- National University of Singapore
- Osaka University
- Queen’s University Belfast
- Sciences Po Paris
- Universität Bern
- Université de Montréal
- Université Jean-Moulin Lyon III
- Universiteit Leiden
- Universiteit Maastricht
- University College Dublin
- University of Auckland
- University of Canterbury
- University of Copenhagen
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Glasgow
- University of Hong Kong
- University of Melbourne
- University of New South Wales
- University of Nottingham
- University of Otago
- University of Queensland
- University of Sydney
- University of Western Australia
Application, dates, and practical info
- Apply to UBC on exchange
- Key dates for applying to UBC on exchange
- Costs for coming to UBC on exchange
- English language requirements for coming to UBC on exchange
- Register for courses at UBC on exchange
- Prepare to come to UBC on exchange
If you have questions
Please include the following in your email:
- Student number in the subject line
- Full name
- Whether you are an incoming or outgoing exchange student