Register for Courses at UBC on Exchange

Course registration and restrictions for exchange students

Registration Overview

Many faculties, schools, and programs at UBC are open to visiting exchange students; however, admission into some programs is restricted or limited. Be sure to check the Faculty Specific Restrictions noted on this page as well as other restrictions that may be outlined on the UBC Course Schedule, and be aware of the faculties or schools that are not open to exchange students. 

Faculties or Schools Not Open to Exchange Students

  • School of Audiology and Speech Sciences
  • School of Journalism
  • Faculty of Medicine
  • School of Nursing
  • Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
  • Faculty of Dentistry
  • School of Rehabilitation Sciences
  • UBC Vantage College

Please note that the Peter A. Allard School of Law is only open to exchange students coming to UBC through Law-specific exchange agreements.

Course Registration Process

UBC's Course Schedule allows you to browse courses being offered in the current academic year at each UBC campus. The Go Global office assists in registering courses for exchange students. However, Go Global cannot guarantee access to specific courses, even if they are required by your home university. Therefore, students coming to UBC for study are recommended to have flexibility with their course preferences.

Please check the course registration flowchart (pdf) below for more information about the course registration process.

Course Numbers and Levels 

Generally, courses at UBC are numbered as follows

  • 100: First-year
  • 200: Second-year
  • 300: Third-year
  • 400: Fourth-year (final year of undergraduate degree)
  • 500+: Graduate-level courses

Course-load Requirements 

  • Undergraduate exchange students typically take between 9 and 15 credits per semester at UBC, depending on degree requirements at their home university. Go Global is not able to advise you on the minimum course load required by your home university.
  • Students must maintain registration of a minimum of 9 credits per term to be considered as a full-time student at UBC.
  • If you are living in one of the student residences or considering working with a valid Study Permit, you must maintain your full-time student status.
  • There is a credit limit for both full year (30 credits/year) and single-term students (15 credits/term). 

Getting Permission to Take a Restricted or Full Course 

If a course offered by the Faculty of Arts or the Faculty of Science (except for Math and Economics) is full or restricted, students can submit a request to Go Global after arriving by completing the Change of Registration Form (pdf)

For undergraduate courses offered by other Faculties that are full or restricted, please visit the Faculty advising office after arriving to seek approval to join the course. More information will be provided in the Go Global orientation session.

Taking Graduate-level Courses 

Exchange students wishing to take graduate-level courses must get permission from instructors and are normally required to complete the Enrolment of Undergraduate Exchange Students in Graduate Courses form after arrival

You can find more information about taking graduate-level courses under the "Faculty Specific Restrictions" section below. 

Faculty Specific Restrictions

Some faculties and departments have course restrictions for exchange and visiting students. See the links below for details on course restrictions by faculty. Other restrictions on the UBC Course Schedule may also apply. Restrictions are subject to change, so please check regularly for updates.

Applied Science

Including Engineering, Architecture and Landscape Architecture courses at UBC


Including Economics courses at UBC


Including courses in Curriculum & Pedagogy, Counseling Psychology & Special Education, Educational Studies, and...


Including Commerce and Commerce Human Resources courses at UBC


Including Computer Science courses at UBC


Including Law, Graduate Studies, Kinesiology, Land and Food Systems, Music, Library, Archival and Information Studies...