Go Global Office of Global Engagement

Course registration

Tec de Monterrey students can take a wide variety of courses in UBC’s faculties of Arts, Sauder (Commerce), Land & Food Systems and Applied Science. But some programs are restricted or limited. Be sure to check Faculty-specific restrictions, as well as other restrictions, on the UBC Course Schedule (CWL Required) or UBC Guest Course Schedule (Access Code Required)

*Note: The link to the faculty course restrictions will take you to a more general page for students coming to UBC on exchange. While the information about restricted courses is relevant to you, please make sure you are referring to information specifically for Tec students when planning other aspects of your studies abroad.  

Course registration process

This is an ongoing process that takes place between your admission and the course add/drop deadline. Review this course registration flowchart (PDF) to learn about the process. 

 Keep this in mind while preparing for your course requests:  

  • UBC's Course Schedule (CWL Required) allows you to browse courses offered in the current academic year at each UBC campus, including the courses listed in each certificate of specialty. UBC provides an updated Course Schedule in May each year.  
  • Prerequisites are courses you must take before you are able to register for a course (eg, to take BIOL 200, you must take CHEM 123). Please take the equivalent prerequisite courses at Tec de Monterrey or take them at UBC while you are here. 
  • Engineering course availability:  
    • If you are taking courses in Mechanical, Civil and Electrical Engineering, make sure you are looking at courses offered at the Okanagan campus in Kelowna. Most 300- and 400-level ENGR courses are open to Tec de Monterrey students who meet the prerequisites. Certain APSC courses may be available if space permits. 
    • There is very limited availability in Mechanical and Civil Engineering at the Vancouver campus.  
    • If you are taking courses in Electrical and Computer Engineering, you can take those courses at the Vancouver campus.  
  • Business course availability: 
    • Business courses listed under the COMM/COHR/COMR Subject Code are open to Tec JAP students   
    • BUSI and COEC courses at the graduate level (500 and 600) and MBA/EMBA courses are not available. 
  • UBC does not have a centralized repository for keeping academic syllabi. Students are responsible for contacting the individual instructors and obtaining the course syllabi, if available. Find contact information of the instructor on the UBC Course Schedule.  

UBC course numbering

  • 100: First-year level 
  • 200: Second-year level 
  • 300: Third-year level 
  • 400: Fourth-year level (final year of UBC undergraduate degree) 
  • 500+: Graduate-level courses 

Course-load requirements

Each UBC course is usually worth three credits. Students must maintain a registration of a minimum of nine credits per term (three courses) to be considered a full-time student. To receive a certificate, you must complete the required courses and a number of elective courses. Certificates require five UBC courses (15 credits).  

Getting permission to take restricted or full courses

If a course offered by the Faculty of Arts or the Faculty of Science (except Math and Economics courses) is full or restricted, students can submit a request to Go Global after arriving by completing the Change of Registration Form (PDF) .   

For undergraduate courses offered by other faculties that are full or restricted, visit the Faculty Advising Office after arriving for approval to join the course. We will share more information about this process at the Go Global orientation session.