How to apply: Exchange
Application overview - 3 steps
- Search and narrow down to 3 university partners you would like to attend
- Meet the eligibility requirements and apply to Go Global with your 3 choices by the application deadlines
- If you are accepted to Go Global, you’ll get an email 6-8 weeks after the submission deadline notifying you which university you have been matched to and the next steps. Over the following weeks, you will apply to your host university.
Deadlines for 2022/2023 winter session term exchanges
Applications for Exchange will only be reviewed after the following deadlines.
December 14, 2021
11:59 pm PST
|Main exchange deadline for all exchange partners (Term 1, Term 2, and Full-Year or Split-year exchanges)|
May 5, 2022
11:59 pm PDT
|The second round deadline for remaining spots at select partner universities (Term 2 exchanges only)|
How to apply
Before you apply
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
You will be applying through Gateway, the online application program. If you've already started your application, you can resume from where you left off at any time.
- Complete and submit relevant supporting documents, and your statements of interest (within the Gateway application) by the application deadline.
- You must pay the Go Global fee ($415.00). The fee will be posted to your tuition account 1-3 weeks after the application deadline has passed.
Supporting documents for your exchange application
All students applying must download and complete the Go Global Study plan (pdf) in addition to downloading the supporting documents that apply to you.
All students are also required to write statements of interest for each university choice within the Gateway application.
All supporting documents must be uploaded on Gateway.
Some students may require additional documents:
|Required for||Supporting document|
|Applied science students: If your top choice is a Coordinated International Experience (CIE), you must complete the CIE study plan for your first choice and your plan must be signed by the appropriate departmental advisor in Applied Science.||CIE study plan (for Applied Science Students) (pdf)|
|First-year students and students in transfer programs: If you are a first-year student, and a student in a transfer program who is participating in full-year courses (Sep - April), you must complete this form. Please note that you do not need to complete this form if you are applying for the round 2 deadline||Go Global Interim Grade form (pdf)|
|Students doing courses in any Chinese dialect: In order to receive transfer credits for UBC CHIN, you must complete this form.||Online Chinese placement exam|
|Graduate students: You must complete this course plan and have your plan approved by your Graduate Advisor and the Faculty of Graduate Studies.||Graduate Student Course Plan Approval (Word doc)|
Tips and tools: Applying for exchange
- Check to see if you’re eligible to go.
- Plan your finances by creating a budget.
- Visit the Resource Library to browse a collection of international student handbooks, course catalogues, and departmental overviews.
- See what courses at your host university can count towards UBC course credits in the "Courses + Transfer credits" section of the individual partner pages.
- Talk to your faculty advisor about your degree requirements.
- Use the study plan tool (pdf) to map out the courses you need for graduation and how exchange and study abroad fits into that.
Paying the Go Global Fee
The Go Global Fee (CAD $415) is an administrative fee required for all applicants to all Go Global programs. The fee will be posted to your Student Services Centre (SSC) account 1-3 weeks following the application deadline, and will be due approximately 2 weeks later. You will be notified of the due date by email once the fee is posted.
Please see the list of options you have for paying tuition.
Go Global Fee Adjustment Policy
The Go Global Fee ($415.00 CDN) is an administrative fee required for all applicants to Go Global programs. The fee is non-refundable. However, it may be adjusted under the following circumstances.
If you are not matched to a partner university
You are eligible to have your Go Global fee adjusted from $415.00 to $93.25 (reduced by $321.75) if:
- You have applied to Go Global but do not meet our minimum eligibility requirements
- Go Global cannot match you to a partner university
- The partner university does not accept your application and Go Global cannot find another option
If you withdraw from Go Global
To withdraw from your Go Global exchange, research or summer abroad program, you must contact Go Global by email to request withdrawal. You will then be asked to complete a short withdrawal form.
Students who withdraw from Go Global by the relevant deadline below, will have their Go Global fee adjusted from $415.00 to $321.75 (reduced by $93.25).
- March 30: For summer and research programs
- June 30: For UBC Winter Term 1 and Full-Year exchange
- September 30: For UBC Winter Term 2 and Split-Year exchange
If you have questions, please connect with your Go Global advisor or email Go Global at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Go Global
In-person and Virtual Drop-in advising hours
- Tuesday: 1:00 - 3:00 pm
- Wednesday: 1:00 - 3:00 pm
Go Global offers both in-person and virtual drop-in advising through Zoom during the times listed above.